2018 – 2019 SOUTHAMPTON BASKETBALL IN-HOUSE RULES (AS OF 1/12/2019) GRADES FOUR AND UP
PLEASE REMEMBER: THESE LEAGUES ARE DESIGNED FOR TEACHING THE CHILDREN BASKETBALL AND GOOD SPORTSMANSHIP.
PLEASE KEEP THE KIDS IN MIND FIRST AT ALL TIMES!!!
1. Each player MUST play at least 8 minutes each half of every game.
2. Each game is 4 quarters with an 8-minute running clock. The clock stops for FOUL SHOTS and TIMEOUTS. In the LAST TWO MINUTES OF EACH HALF, the clock stops on all WHISTLES.
3. Defense cannot defend past HALF COURT, EXCEPT for the LAST MINUTE of each HALF. (Winning team cannot press if winning by more than 10 points.)
4. All baskets count for TWO POINTS, except for the 7th and 8th-grade levels which do have THREE POINTERS.
5. When the defensive team gets the rebound cleanly, the offense must retreat back to half court, except for fast breaks. FAST BREAKS are at the discretion of the REFEREES ONLY.
6. Any team with LESS than FIVE players only, may use a player from another team in the league. Both coaches must agree on the player. If a team has at least FIVE players, no substitute can be used, unless of an injury. If no other player is available, then the teams play 4 on 4.
7. There are FIVE timeouts per game. No more than TWO time-outs can be used in the first half. No more than THREE timeouts can be used in the second half. Each team is allowed ONE timeout in overtime, plus ONE time-out carried over from the second half, if any are left.
8. OVERTIME is three minutes, with a clock stopping on all whistles and timeouts.
9. Technical fouls will be taken by the opposing team and the player shooting the foul will be chosen by that team. Any PLAYER or COACH that receives a DOUBLE technical foul in the same game will be ejected for that game and be SUSPENDED for the next game. If a team has only five players and one is ejected, the team will have to finish the game with FOUR players. (NO substitutions)
10. Any player that receives FIVE fouls in a game will foul out of the game and will not be able to return until the next game. If a team only has FIVE players and one player fouls out, that team will have to finish the game with FOUR players OR the player that fouled out may stay in the game and any further fouls for that player will be considered a TECHNICAL FOUL for the opposing team. (BOTH coaches MUST agree.) Additionally, SEVEN team fouls will be ONE and ONE; TEN team fouls will be TWO shots, in each half.
11. Playing Man to Man or Zone is at coaches’ discretion.